Friday, February 15, 2013

A Hockey Player's Catastrophic Cut To The Wrist Area

My Son's Injury 


Hi Randy....My son Christian Black is a defenseman for the South Shore Kings in Foxboro Massachusetts. We have been looking for a while now for the Kevlar protection for him. I thought, if you needed or wanted another testimonial for your website, I would share my son's injury. It happened on Dec. 22, 2012. Unfortunately, we are in Michigan and were watching the game on Fast Hockey. In a game, my son checked a kid in the corner, and when they were both getting up and back into the play the other players skates came up and sliced his inner forearm to the bone! It was a catastrophic injury.

His arm was cut to the bone....he severed multiple ligaments and tendons as well as the artery. It was an emergency situation in that he was bleeding out! The trainers and coaches were detrimental in saving his life. He was ambulanced to Boston Medical Center, where he was stabilized. We got him home the next day and I was able to make contact with the Detroit Red Wings hand surgeon who did Mike Modano's and Darren Helm's surgeries.

 

He was operated on, on Dec. 27th. I will attach pictures of the events as they unfolded into his ongoing recovery now. I just ordered the sleeves (Wrist Guards) and the Achilles® leg protections (Goalie/Player Underwear)  from your website and noted that you have included stories of other athletes being injured. This has been a very difficult time for my son as I'm sure you can imagine. Since graduating high school in 2011, and being on teams in the NAHL and BCHL, he had found his home in the EJHL. A great coach that respects and appreciates him and thought he had a great future ahead of him...Unfortunately this was a season ending injury. Luckily he had a great surgeon and therapists now and should make a full recovery. He is also lucky that he has one more year of eligibility.

So, long story short, but I wanted you to hear it. We are hearing more and more that the game is so fast now, that these injuries are going to become more common. Case in point, Erik Karlsson of the Ottawa Senators last night. If I had an audience of hockey parents, I would tell them to get this protection. Get them started young so it becomes part of the uni.. I am not looking for anything other than to bring attention to the devastation of these injuries and how they can hopefully be prevented by wearing any (Kevlar®) protection. My son will not be getting back on the ice in a few weeks without it.


Thank you for your time.

Julie Black

 

UPDATE : Christian's thoughts.... 

Hogan Hockey

As you can imagine this injury was a very hard season ender, that in total will take around 4 to 5 months to get back to where I was physically. Not knowing much about skate lacerations, like most, makes me want to get the word out. Wearing guards on achilles and wrists is going to be a part of my game and should be for everyone. With the speed and competition level increasing more and more, I see lacerations becoming much more common. The healing process is slow and tedious as to not rupture a repaired tendon, which could cause possible loss of movement for the rest of my life. I was lucky to have a great surgeon, physical therapists, coaches and family support system to help me get through all of this. I am more than ready to get back on the ice and train all summer for my last year of juniors. If anyone ever has questions about the process I wouldn't hesitate to help. Thank you for hearing my story and sharing it with the hockey community.

Christian Black

 

To view more of the pics sent in of Christian's laceration see ( lacerations page ) "Viewer Discretion" 

Visit us at  www.hoganhockey.com   to see what Christian will be wearing when he gets back on the ice.